What can community members do?

What can community members do to prepare for the updated floodplain maps?

There are a number of things that individuals can do prior to the new floodplain maps going effective in 2024. The most important thing is to stay informed about the progress of the new maps, and be aware if your lender will require you to obtain a flood insurance policy under the new maps.

Know your current and preliminary flood zones
Preliminary maps can be viewed by following the "Is my property impacted?" link on the left side of this page, or by viewing the City of Minot GIS map online. If you cannot access these maps or have other questions, the Engineering Department can provide information and advice about floodplains and flood insurance. Contact the Engineering Department at 701-857-4100 or engineers@minotnd.org

Get grandfathered into your insurance premiums

Timing is the most important factor in being grandfathered into a lower-risk flood zone for insurance rating. You must purchase flood insurance before the updated floodplain maps become effective to be grandfathered into the lower rate.

Obtain an Elevation Certificate

If your home or business is in a high-risk area, the Elevation Certificate (EC) includes important information that is needed for determining a risk-based premium rate for a flood insurance policy. For example, the EC shows the location of the building, lowest floor elevation, building characteristics, and flood zone.

Your insurance agent will use the EC to compare your building’s elevation to the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) shown on the FIRM in order to determine the cost to cover your flood risk. The BFE is the elevation that floodwaters are estimated to reach during a one percent chance flood event. The higher your lowest floor is above the BFE, the lower the risk of flooding. Lower risk typically means lower flood insurance premiums.

In most cases, a licensed surveyor needs to fill out and sign the EC. A licensed surveyor can be found by searching for "land surveyors" or "engineers" online or in a phone book. Please note: the City of Minot does not have licensed surveyors on staff to fill out ECs.