- Police Department
- Municipal Court
Minot Municipal Court
- Appearances are scheduled at 9:00am or 9:30am, M-Th (excluding major holidays)
- Enter on lower West side of City Auditorium
- If you have a question regarding a citation, warrant, or court appearance, please contact the clerk's office. Court clerk staff can be reached by phone, mail, or email, Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm.
- It is imperative that defendants keep current contact information with the Clerk’s office to ensure contact can be made.
-Traffic citations need to be paid within 14 days of the issuance of the citation.
- Municipal Court Lobby: 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday-Friday
- By mail: Minot Municipal Court, PO Box 5006, Minot ND 58702
- Via the drop box in the public entrance of the Minot Police Department
- By phone with a Visa or Mastercard: 701-857-4759
Minot Municipal Court is in session Monday through Thursday. Ashley E. Beall is the presiding Judge. Court begins at 9:00 a.m. with initial appearances and continues until all scheduled cases are heard. Trials begin at 9:30 a.m. or as soon as initial appearances and scheduled cases are completed.
Municipal Court has jurisdiction over traffic cases and adult criminal charges involving class B misdemeanors. However, state law requires that some criminal charges will be transferred to District Court if a specific number of class B charges are levied within a specified period of time. Minor traffic citations involving juveniles are handled in Municipal Court. Serious traffic offenses involving juveniles and alcohol offenses will be transferred to Juvenile Court.
The first appearance in Court is for entering a plea of guilty or not guilty. If the plea is guilty, an explanation may be given to the Judge before the sentence is imposed. If the plea is not guilty, a pretrial conference or bench trial will be scheduled for a later date. For criminal charges, the defendant may elect either a trial before the Judge or request a jury trial in District Court. The Judge may require a bond prior to release from custody after entering a plea of not guilty. Depending on the charge, options include cash bond (Visa and/or MasterCard are accepted) or surety bond.
If a cash bond is posted and the defendant is found not guilty, the total bond will be refunded to the defendant or bond remitter. If the defendant is found guilty and a fine is imposed, the fine will be deducted from the bond and the remainder, if any, will be refunded to the defendant or bond remitter. If the defendant fails to appear for court and bond has been posted, the Judge may forfeit the bond.
Fines may be paid in court when the fine is levied or at the Municipal Court Clerks Office if the Judge has agreed to a payment arrangement. If you cannot make your scheduled payment, please contact the Municipal Court prior to the scheduled payment due date.
If you have been notified that you have an active warrant, please turn yourself into the Police Department at 8:00 am for subsequent appearance in Court. If the Police have any contact with you prior to your appearance in Court and a warrant is active, they are required to arrest you.
If you have any questions, please contact the Clerk of Court at: